20 May-23 May, 2012 Rosemont, IL – I attended and participated in STC Summit 2012, the annual international Society for Technical Communication conference. My fellow 800+ attendees were technical writers, information developers, technical editors, web content architects, user experience experts, eTraining and eLearning masters, and technical communication academic professionals. Our industry is populated with smart and fun people that raise the bar for our profession.
Highlights of the STC Summit 2012 include links to well-written blog posts by my fellow #stc12 attendees:
- Sunday’s opening session keynote by Scott Berkun. Scott reminded us that Creativity is Work. Read Hannah Morgan’s blog post for an articulate and inspiring recap of Scott’s message: Motivation Monday at #STC12: Creativity is Work!
- Interesting observations about reduced vendor participation by Content Rules capture my feelings, also. Thanks Val for writing. I would also add to the not so good list that healthy food was difficult to track down.
- I remember an STC Summit over four years ago when twitter was an unknown entity to me. When I attended that twitter town hall meeting, I was the oldest attendee by at least 15 years. Now we are all on board and greeted twitter like an old friend and consistently used the #stc12 hashtag. My friend and STC super star Ben Woelk aptly discusses Twitter Use at STC Summit. I especially like the graphic portrayal of #stc12 information. I enjoyed Ben’s presentation with career sherpa Hannah Morgan so much that we are working to enlist Ben and Hannah to serve as our keynote speakers and Saturday workshop leaders March 9, 2013 at our STC Mid-Atlantic Technical Communication Conference sponsored by STC Philadelphia Metro Chapter. If you are not yet on twitter, you can replay our twitter feed.
- Tech writer Kai’s presentation on pattern recognition sparked a few ideas for me. See his blog post on 6 ways he enjoyed the Summit.
- IBM information architecture presentation by my former IBM colleagues discussed information experience models.
- Many of the STC Summit presenters, including me, posted slides to SlideShare with the #stc12 hashtag.
- My friend and presentation partner Ann Grove, president and owner of Logical Writing Solutions, served as our VIP sponsor for the return of the STC Music Jam with our Rough Drafts band. Lead base player Viqui Dill, our of top 10 twitter handles!, tells the Rough Drafts Music Jam story very well with pictures.
- We need to change the way we deliver information. Global, mobile, social: surfing the perfect storm. Tristan Bishop delivered an informative and entertaining talk full of statistics and trends. Sarah Maddox took these excellent notes that tell us the key is to communicate with people in the channel of their choice. As technical communication professionals, we can show our managers that we provide value in this area because we read, analyse, and respond clearly.
- Face time is golden!
- Our STC Philadelphia Metro Chapter members, and geographically favorable future members, bonded over an off-site lunch at the local casino, where the food was delicious and it was easy to pay separately and enjoy time together. I earned my first senior discount for being 50 or over!
- Knowledge is affirmed.
- Brain is full.